Mmm…this is a yummy one. My hubby is a chimichanga connoisseur. He orders them at every Mexican restaurant we visit. I yell at him that he really shouldn’t be eating that deep-fried burrito and then proceed to dig into my totally healthy veggie quesadilla. What? Okay. So it’s got some cheese on it. Okay. A pound of cheese. Whatever. It’s not deep-fried cheese. I only order those at Applebee’s. Anyway.
I hope you try and enjoy the following recipe. It’s totally adaptable to your own tastes and I highly suggest you play around with it. I certainly changed up the original and we loved the end result!
Baked Chicken Chimi’s
Recipe adapted from here
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded**
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion**
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or more if you’re into it!)
- 1 cup frozen white corn
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 (soft-taco sized) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- diced tomato, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sautee onions until translucent. **(Tip: I boil my chicken to precook for this recipe. Add chicken AND onions to pot of cold water, bring to boil and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Strain out water and shred chicken right in the pot!)
- Mix chicken, garlic, corn, salsas, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions. Place about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold opposite sides over filling. Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with desired toppings and serve with salsa on the side.
Don’t skip the butter step! They crisp up your non-deep fried chimichanga! It’s like health food this way. Trust me.