Okay. Who’s in the mood for a little “south of the Border” cuisine? And I’m not speaking of the Taco Bell variety. Or in the literal sense of the phrase because, well, right about now that would be an unnecessary risk to take for some cheese-smothered tortillas. Although, that being said,this recipe is almost good enough to duck your head and run for cover…a cover under which awaits a steaming 9×13 casserole of chicken enchiladas, that is.
A long time ago I was extremely discerning in my food choices. It’s fair to say that some may consider me a bit “picky” but I prefer to believe that I had a sophisticated palate at a veryyoung age. I had created a long list of foods I would allow myself to enjoy and an even longer list of foods I would liken to vomit-inducing excuses for nutrition, i.e. enchiladas and potato pancakes (still hate those, by the way.) There was just something about the combination of tortilla, hamburgerand red sauce that caused a gut-wrenching response for the dish.
And then a few years back onone beautiful evening I was introduced to an entirely new concept…chicken enchiladas with cream sauce. No hamburger? Or red sauce? Seriously? I’ll take it. Now. Please. Um, I’m not kidding.
This Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas recipe is the perfect combination of mild chacha (some might call it spice) and smooth cream. The delectable blend of ingredients married with the perfect way to precook the chicken (explanation coming) resultsin one outstanding dish.
(Recipe serves 6, can easily be doubled)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast meat
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 6 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the green onion until tender (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add the garlic powder, then stir in the green chiles, cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Mix well. Reserve 3/4 of this sauce and set aside. To the remaining 1/4 of the sauce in the saucepan, add the chicken*** and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Stir together.
- Fill each flour tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll up. Place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine the reserved 3/4 of the sauce with the milk. Spoon this mixture over the rolled tortillas and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Shredded Chicken a’la Crockpot
This preparation method produces extremely moist, flavorful shredded chicken. Can be refrigerated or frozen for later use.
- 4-6 chicken breasts, can be frozen
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of butter
- seasoning salt/black pepper
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot. Sprinkle liberally with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Add butter.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Shred chicken.