Do you know that there was a point in time in my life that I would not eat chicken pot pie? Seriously. The mere idea of consuming a mish-mash of chicken and veggies cooked inside a pie crust gave me a case of the heebies. Why? Because I hated pie, thereby hating pie crust by default. Silly Mindy.
I’m definitely over it now. I started my foray into the land of crust-eaters by trying out the ever-famous Marie Callendars’ Chicken Pot Pie. I ordered it on a whim one night while on a date with my husband. It kept jumping out at me from the menu and I could not get it out of my head. So I thought, “Why not? You’re a grownup now!” Ohmydear God in Heaven. You all, I was in a sort of frenzy plowing through that pot pie. My hubby was trying to have a conversation with me but I wouldn’t bring my head up out of that dish long enough to contribute anything. I would just nod my head and continue to stuff my face. I wasn’t even making eye contact. He finally gave up and let me finish the pie in peace. So now I AM IN LOVE with pie crust (still hate dessert pie but I’ve come to my senses and realized that it’s the mish-mash of heated fruit and sugar that I hate…not the delectable crust. Thank God.)
Since I can’t yet afford to go to Marie Callendars weekly (I’m holding out for another 30 years to gain access to that Honored Citizen Menu) I had to find a recipe for that beloved pie. I searched and searched andfound a basicchicken pot pie recipe onlineadjusting it to my own tastes.
Please try it and make your own adjustments if you so choose. Whatever. I won’t be offended. Maybe a little bit. Here it is:
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- chicken broth or stock
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of cream of celery soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups frozen carrots/peas mix, thawed
- salt and pepper
- refrigerated pie crust, double
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and floura 2-quart round casserole dish (I have a deep dish pie plate that I typically use).
- Place your chicken, celery and onions into a medium saucepan and add enough chicken broth to cover. Simmer over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Drain stock from pan and shred chicken.
- In a large bowl, mix together your chicken/onion/celery mixture, soups, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, thawed carrots/peas, salt and pepper. Make sure and mix thoroughly.
- Place one sheet of refrigerated pie crust into bottom of prepared plate. Pour mixture onto bottom crust. Cover with second sheet of pie crust. Seal and crimp the edges with a fork, and cut steam vents into top of pie crust. Brush crust evenly with an egg wash (egg + little bit of water) to make your crust super golden brown.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden and mixture is bubbling.