Oh, in the name of all that is Holy…I’ve died and gone to heaven. Working on this recipe has made me reevaluate all that I love in my life. I love my husband, my children, my family, my country. And these potatoes. This recipeincorporates some of my favorite ingredients into one delectable mashed up casserole, if you will. But this is not your general casserole, for all you covered dish-a-phobes out there. This is an amazing concoction with simple yet effective ingredients. Not only does it have potatoes (an overlooked working-horse in the kitchen), it’s got cheese (oh, yeah), onions (keep talkin’), garlic (yeah, baby) and bacon (come to mama!). I have eaten this filling side dish a number of times but have never actually attempted to prepare it myself. All by myself. With all my stuff. Like my hand mixer. And a potatoe masher. I felt like a grownup. So here it is…please try these Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes soon. I’m dying.
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs. canola oil
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (fix ’em up like you would for your family, milk and butter)
- 3 slices cooked andcrumbled bacon
- 1 1/2cups shredded cheese (I use sharp white cheddar and regular ol’ cheddar mixed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute chopped onion and minced garlic in canola oil until onions are tender and transluscent.
- In a bowl, combine prepared mashed potatoes, onion and garlic mixture, crumbled up bacon and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well and transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish. Top with remainder 1/2 cupof cheese. (Seriously folks, use as much cheese as you want. Whatever turns you on…)
- Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted and bubbling.
- Savor this sinfully delectable attempt at a vegetable side dish.