Hey friends! It’s Summer. I’m sure you haven’t actually figured that out on your own. Ms. Captain Obvious here.
My kiddos are out of school and draping themselves lazily across my various furniture pieces, leaving random wrappers for snacks I didn’t even know were in my cupboard tucked sneakily into couch cushions and…honestly, driving me a little batty.
Is it back to school time yet?
I jest. I joke. I drink heavily.
Let’s be real. For a stay-at-home mom with very little reason to glance at a calendar Summer time can merely be a change in weather. The daily grind remains nearly the same with one very big caveat.
The kids are home.
Admittedly, 90 percent of the time is amazing and I remember how goll-darned lucky I am to be able to be home with these kids. But the other 10 percent of the time leaves me aching for a cubicle in some office with an important deadline to meet and a morning meeting with a manager who seems to always be drinking coffee.
I think there’s a balance between home and away and it seems a pretty common struggle for moms in both positions to find it. The Summer seems to really bring that struggle out into the light. We both seem to want a squeency bit more of what the other has but what we should do is just embrace our own reality, squeeze in pieces of the “other life” where we can and find some peace in that.
As for today I will straighten the couch pillows, throw away yet another mystery plastic wrapper and holler at my youngest to shut the dang door for the umpteenth time.
And tomorrow? Maybe I’ll leave the kiddos home and find some fabulous office building to salivate in front of for a bit.
Smile, it’s Summer.
Coming up on The Suburban Life – a little skincare gem you need in your life and on your face. 🙂
Leave a Reply