Superbowl Sunday is upon us which means many people are gearing up and making their plans for the big day. There will be parties, there will be loyal fanatics, there will be nachos and there will undoubtedly be…beer.
My family has always gathered together to watch the big game. The kids run around with total unabandon while the women sit with magazines catching up on gossip and the men…oh, the men. Well, they tend to ride a fine line between a beer weinie-induced coma and an astonishing attention to every microscopic game detail.
What I love about the Superbowl is the universally accepted belief that a main dish is unnecessary. This is one of the few times of the year where the appetizer plays front and center. No longer is it simply the prelude to a big reveal. The appetizer rules the day. And personally, I am a-okay with the change of roles because I am a big believer in eating lots and lots of tiny little food.
Today’s recipe fits in fantastically well with the traditional Super Bowl Food Pyramid. Cheese? Check. Processed meat? Check. Refined carbs? Check!
So bake these little Pizza Puffs up and prepare yourself for total appetizer domination. (Okay, that’s a bit of an overstatement. But who doesn’t love some refrigerated biscuit dough?)
- 1 (7.5 oz) package of refrigerated biscuit dough
- italian seasoning
- 1-2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup chopped pepperoni slices
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- 1 cup pizza sauce, warmed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Flatten out a biscuit, creating a deep well in the center. Add a generous pinch of mozzarella and pepperoni, sprinkling with italian seasoning. Pinch the dough back together and place seam-side down on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining biscuits.
- Brush melted butter over tops of prepared biscuits. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garlic powder.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Serve with warmed pizza sauce on the side.
Yes, they are refrigerated biscuits. Yes, it’s an extremely easy recipe. Yes, it sports the name “puff”.
Adopt the simple. Be proud. It’s a pizza puff.